Skip Navigation

Having fun

Finding fun things to do is a good part of life.

Does your child want to have fun with friends?

Do you, a family member or the person you care for want to start a new hobby or maybe a sport?


Child with therapists learning through games

Games are not only fun but also can increase balance, coordination and strength. An occupational therapist can work with your child through games and other activities to improve important skills like using their hands to draw and write. The occupational therapist can develop your child's play skills including relating to other children. The earlier this is done with your child, the better the results may be.

If your child wants to build more physical strength, a physiotherapist can guide your child through play-based exercises such as safely jumping on a trampoline.

Child being supported to play

Your child may need to get along better with children and adults. A psychologist or social worker can support your child to develop social skills and find fun programs to meet your child's needs. A speech pathologist or psychologist can support your child to increase their social communication skills, for example, listening to others, starting conversations, taking turns, understanding and using body language, and using the right volume.


Spending time with other people especially when doing things you enjoy is important. A psychologist or a social worker can look at your interests and hobbies and talk to you about how you might develop these further. The psychologist can provide strategies for joining groups and sharing interests with others.

Sometimes just getting your essential daily tasks done can be tiring and you don't have the energy to visit friends or see a movie. If there are no underlying reasons for your fatigue, an exercise physiologist can help build your fitness, strength and stamina so you have the energy to do the things you love as well as the necessary daily tasks. A physiotherapist can recommend exercises to improve strength and build muscles through activities such as swimming.

Man on scooter walking the dog

If you or a family member wants to know about community recreation programs, an occupational therapist can advise you on lots of options.

If you want to improve your social communication skills, for example starting and maintaining conversations, interpreting and using body language, or communicating effectively in different social situations, a speech pathologist can support you.